A Hindu marriage in particular is all about rituals and customs. Every ritual has its own meaning cannot be done away with. The ritual of saat phera or seven vows is one of the most significant rituals of the Hindu wedding in India.
Any Indian marriage is incomplete without these vows and is deemed complete once they are conducted. The seven vows or the seven steps are of great mythological importance where the couple takes round the holy fire and every single round has its own significance. With every round, the bride and groom make one promise to each other. These seven vows are the seven promises which the bride and the groom do to each other for a happy and prosperous life. They are bound together by an unseen bond protected by these promising words.
Let us all know about these seven vows. These seven vows make bride and groom learn to live together with love, duty, honor and devotion forever. These seven pheras has special significance for the bride and groom for the peace and welfare of the world.
Indian marriage is the icon of purity and the interaction of two isolated community and culture. Except some minor differences, Hindu marriage ceremony consists of the same customs.
Indian Hindu wedding vows:
1. Wellness: The couple requests to the almighty to shower blessings in the form of pure and nourishing food with a respectful and noble life. Man pledges to provide food and welfare for the family. He takes responsibility of raising livelihood. Woman takes charge of maintaining household.
2. Strength: With the second step, Bride and Groom pledge that they will co-operate each other in every situation and grow mental, physical and spiritual strengths so that they can share their happiness and enjoy life together. Couple promises to stand by other’s side with courage and strength.
3. Prosperity and Intimacy: Couple pledges to stay together and pray to the almighty to bring prosperity in their lives. The couple pleads for wisdom, wellness and wealth in order to live a content and satisfied life. They pledge to remain spiritually committed and the bride assures the groom that by the virtue of true love and devotion she will remain a noble wife.
4. The love: With the fourth step, couple promise to take care of their elders in the family and not to disregard and forget them. The groom thanks his would-be wife for bringing auspiciousness, happiness and sacredness in his life. In return, the bride takes an oath to serve and please her husband in every way possible. Together, they also pledge to take care and respect their elders in the family. Together they pledge to strengthen and maintain the family relationship.
5. Descendants: With the fifth step, bride and groom request to the almighty that they get the best gift of the nature in the form of children. couple makes a promise to be responsible parents and provide the children with fine education and fundamental values of life.
6. Health and Longevity: With their sixth step together, the bride and the groom pray to divinity for disease free and healthy life for their families and themselves so that they can lead a harmonious and balanced life together. The groom wishes that he would fill joy and peace to his wife’s life; while the bride provides assurance that she would participate with her husband in all his noble and divine acts.
7. Quality: With the seventh step, couple prays to God that their new associativity would fill with respect, confidence, maturity, honesty and understanding.
Wife and husband are the two wheels of the life chariot. No one is superior to each other. Seven vows make the couple learn about a process of promising each other for leading a conjugal life.